For Christmas my Dad bought me a cooking class with ‘The Veggie Kitchen’ and we made some really lovely cakes! I already posted a few photos of what I made a while ago, but as I have some time on my hands (finally got all my reading done!) I thought I’d post the recipe for the chocolate fudge cake we made. It’s a really long recipe, and it’s quite complicated, but it tasted so good that it’s definitely worth giving it a try, and it’s actually fairly simple when you have everything ready to go. I haven’t tried it out at home for myself yet, but the one I tried from the class was so yummy – as soon as I can afford the ingredients I’m definitely giving it a go again, chocolate fudge cake is my ultimate favourite treat!
The class was so much fun, and it was strange for me, as I’ve always just taught myself along the way and gone with what I like the taste of, but it was really amazing learning from someone else and having them do it their way – I met some really lovely people there as well, there was about 8 of us all watching a demonstration of the chocolate fudge cake and helping out, so I’m cheating a little by posting this recipe as it was really a group effort, but I thought it should definitely be shared. By the way, we all did a swirl of cream each on the top of the cake, and mine it the one right at the front, I hope you’re proud of my abilities!
Have any of you ever been to a cookery class? I’d love to know how they went as I’m thinking of taking another over summer, maybe for something a little more advanced… Anyone in London have any recommendations?
If you like the look of this, and you live in London, then here’s the website and you can check out the classes for yourself :)
For the cake
400g of self-raising flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
185g of vegan margarine
175ml of hot soy milk
230g of caster sugar
175ml of water
4 tablespoons of cocoa powder
For the chocolate fudge
75g of icing sugar
50g of vegan margarine
25g of cocoa powder
25g of caster sugar
3 tablespoons of water
For the soaking syrup
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of orange juice
150ml of water
250ml soy cream and 3 tablespoons of icing sugar for the top, strawberries to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease two baking tins. To make the cake, mix the sugar and margarine until light and fluffy, add the hot milk and mix.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients together, then mix unto the sugar, margarine and milk. Add the water and mix well. Pour the mixture into the tins and bake for 22-25 minutes. Leave to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate fudge, sift the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Melt the margarine, sugar and water gently. Bring to the boil, then pour it into the bowl of cocoa and sugar and beat until smooth. Leave to cool.
- To make the soaking syrup, simply mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
- To assemble the cake, soak the bottom layer with half of the syrup, then smooth the chocolate fudge over the cake. Sandwich with the second cake, then soak the top layer with the rest of the syrup. Beat the cream with the icing sugar until it becomes light and fluffy, like cloud, then spread it over the cake. Put some of the cream in a piping bag, and alternate swirls of cream with cut strawberries, then serve!
Serves about 10