I’m going back to university tomorrow and my flatmate jokingly asked if I’d make some cakes to bring with me, but I’ve had a bit of a crappy day so I thought I actually would make some ridiculously pretty vegan fairy cakes to cheer myself up – they did :)
I’ve always loved white chocolate with berry flavours and I actually found vegan white chocolate the other day! There is a God! You can probably find it on the internet, but I got mine in a Whole Food shop. It took a little rooting around to find, but it was so worth it, especially as the grated white chocolate made the cakes so pretty, like a little dusting of snow; I just love it when little cakes or biscuits work really well, baking is sort of like magic to me – it’s an exact science, particularly vegan cakes because they need a lot of looking after or the soy milk and butter/sugar mixture will curdle. Be careful not to over-mix them though or they won’t turn out lovely and fluffy.
I adapted this recipe from the lemon and raspberry cupcakes in my Everything Vegan cookbook by the way, and have turned all the measurements from US cups to grams – I find cups way too confusing!
115g of vegan margarine
225g of caster sugar
Half a teaspoon of vanilla extract
160ml of soy milk (preferably sweetened, because unsweetened soy milk tastes like mouldy grass)
165g of flour – it doesn’t specify in the book, but I used self-raising
1 and a half teaspoons of baking powder
Half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
A pinch of salt
About 100g of raspberries (to personal taste)
50g of vegan white chocolate chopped up – if you can’t find any then dark chocolate will probably taste just as good
Raspberry “butter” icing
100g of vegan margarine
100g of icing sugar
50g of seedless raspberry jam
A little bit of white chocolate to grate over the top
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with cupcake cases – if the tray doesn’t have holes then double-case them so they hold their shape.
- Cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy, then slowly mix in the soy milk and vanilla (please shake the soy milk before you pour… I once made this mistake with my cereal and it came out clear with loads of gunk at the bottom. Ugh.)
- In a different bowl, sift the flour, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together, then incorporate the flour and margarine/sugar mixes together – do not over mix!
- Gently fold in the raspberries and white chocolate, then 2/3 fill the cupcake cases with the mixture – bake for about 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
- When completely stone cold, cut a small circle out of the top of the cupcake and fill with “butter” icing (simply mix the ingredients for the icing together, adding more icing sugar if it’s a little sloppy). Then cut the circle into two “wings” and arrange them on the icing so the cake looks like a fairy.
- When all of the cupcakes are made into fairies, grate some chocolate over the top, then eat away.
Makes about 24
Just 147 calories per fairy cake – practically saintly :)