My flatmate wanted to organise a cake sale for Animal Care today and I thought it would be a good opportunity to make vegan banana bread, which I’ve wanted to make for absolutely ages. In total, I made vegan banana & blueberry bread (I used this recipe: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/06/blueberry-banana-bread.html), vegan chocolate tiffin (I made up the recipe), some chocolate lollipops and flapjacks which massively failed because I forgot to grease the tin so they all stuck to the bottom… I crumbled them up and put some with my cereal this morning though so it was okay :)
The cake sale was a big success – apparently, I couldn’t be there – and all my stuff sold really well, so I’m really happy about that! Most of the other stuff was shop-bought, like jam tarts and brownies, but they raised a lot of money, and Matt took some photos of the stand and some cute dogs that came to visit, so I don’t feel like I missed out too much! I love the atmosphere of cake sales, everyone buying little treats for a good cause, so I might try and have another one over summer – me and Georgia once did a home-made smoothie stall in secondary school and it was so much fun – just need to find out where’s legal to hold one in London…
Vegan Banana & Blueberry Bread (Fat Free)
3 large bananas
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
80ml of soy milk or almond milk (I used almond milk)
120ml of agave nectar
240g of plain flour
1 teaspoon each of baking powder and bicarbonate of soda
240g of blueberries
A sprinkle of dessicated coconut to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, grease a loaf tin.
- Mix the milk and half the lemon juice and let it stand. Mash the bananas, then add the remaining lemon juice, milk and agave nectar. Stir well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients, then add both mixes together. Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread into the tin, then decorate with the coconut. Bake for 50-60 minutes until brown and well-risen.
Makes about 10 slices
Vegan Chocolate Tiffin
250g of vegan digestive biscuits, crushed (Sainsburys basics ones are vegan)
200g of vegan margarine
4 rounded tablespoons of golden syrup
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
100g of raisins
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
About 300g of dark chocolate
- Melt the margarine, golden syrup, cinnamon and cocoa powder until smooth. Take off the heat and tip in the crushed biscuits and raisins, then mix well until all combined.
- Pour into a greased baking tray, then leave until cool.
- Melt the dark chocolate, then pour over the top – leave until completely set before cutting.
Serves 9-12 depending on how large your slices are.